SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

girl crush of the day: joanna wilson phillips of menucation



Working girl or #Femmeboss: Femmeboss!


Name of your company:


Menucation Kitchen

Your position within the company: 


Founder and Culinary Nutrition Expert

Tell us a bit about yourself: 


I am a survivor of change. At my heaviest I weighed more than 400lbs, but in 2012 my husband and I decided to make health a priority - we switched to a whole foods diet, incorporated significant exercise into our daily routine, and adopted a rescue dog named Lola. I have personally lost more than 200lbs, my husband over 100lbs, and together we changed our lives for the better. I am excited to share my knowledge with the world and to create a healthier, happier reality for those who seek delicious food and healthy nutrition.



Where can we follow you: Instagram Facebook Pinterest Twitter

How did you come to create Menucation Kitchen?


Menucation Kitchen started as a blog in 2015. Writing about nutrition, culinary skills, and my personal health journey, prompted me to seek out further education in the form of a certificate as a Culinary Nutrition Expert through the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. I completed my studies in December of 2015 and I am currently creating a test kitchen where I can consult with clients, teach classes, and create recipes.

How did you settle on the personal style that has now been associated with your work or life?


My personal style is ever changing due to the constant flux of my weight. Since 2012 I haven’t been the same size for more than a few months, so my personal style really depends on what clothes fit currently and how active I am during the day. When I dress to impress I love party dresses, knee high boots, and flowing blouses with minimal jewelry. My naturally curly hair is also one of my favorite assets and I love to use it to my advantage!

What has been your biggest challenge in life or biz so far? 


My biggest challenge in business has been getting started! I am on my way, though, getting a little bolder and a little braver everyday. In life, my biggest challenge was getting my family (parents and siblings) and friends on board with my life change; most didn’t quite understand what I was doing or why, but soon came around when they saw the incredible and healthy results I manifested for myself.

What is the best lesson you've learned along the way? 


Not everyone will see things your way. Concentrate your efforts on the ones that do and nurture those who don’t.

Take us through your day! 


Get up, make a smoothie and hit the ground running! First comes a dog walk or hike, then some work time until lunch. After lunch, my husband and I usually take a few hours for ourselves to do household chores. I start cooking our delicious, nutrition-rich dinner in the late afternoon and by 9pm, the hubby and dog are snoozing on the couch…and I’m happily working away until late in the evening.


Ok, we are nosy, what does a whole 24 hours in your shoes look like? 


24 hours in my shoes includes plenty of physical activity - chopping wood, walking our expansive property in Southern Vermont, hiking hilly trails, running after our 150lb pup, foraging for food in the woods, hopping on the elliptical or doing some yoga. I spend plenty of time daily in the kitchen as well: cooking all our meals (including the dog’s food), prepping for the week, coming up with delicious recipes, and using new ingredients always make me happy.

Do you have any apps, tools or tricks that keep your organized and stress-free? 


My methods are pretty standard - my iPhone calendar is god, I make lists with pen and paper, and I leave sticky notes everywhere. I’ve tried apps and such but nothing is ever as pertinent as seeing a postit note reminding me to email someone stuck on my laptop when I open it. Tried and true!

Who do you most admire right now and why? 


Right now, my go-to guru for all things nutrition and business is Meghan Telpner. She is the founder of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition and the writer of the books Undiet and The Undiet Cookbook. I am currently taking her Biz-Rocking Course as I officially get my business underway.

Give a shout out! Is there anyone in your life that has stood out to you as being extra supportive? 


I know it sounds cliche, but my husband, Nic Phillips, is my rock. When we first started our daily walks (anywhere between 1 and 10 miles), I would walk behind him and our dog, Lola, struggling to keep up. I would beg him to walk slower, stop, or turn back…but all I ever got from him was “you can do it, honey” and “we’re almost there, just a little further.” Following him when I thought I couldn’t go on taught me just how far I could push myself without breaking. It wasn’t long until I was out-pacing him, running ahead of Nic and Lola and then jogging back so they could catch up. Together, Nic and Lola saved my life by saving my health. I can never thank them enough.

When you’re not rocking the world with your talented self, how do you kick back and relax? 


In my down time, I love to sit back and enjoy our property in Vermont, our wood burning stove, a good bit of TV, and a dip in the hot tub. I am involved politically and am an advocate for medical and recreational marijuana legalization. I’m also an avid reader, music enthusiast, and current events junkie.

What advice would you give your 21 year old self? 


Go outside more, you’ll feel better. Also, do some yoga with your lazy ass!

My favorite local haunt is: 


The Royal Chelsea Diner, Brattleboro, VT.

In five years I hope to: 


Be able to support my family financially through my work by making a difference in clients’ lives.

If you had a life mantra it would be: 


Nature Cures All.

Can you leave us with a freebie recipe? 




No comments

Post a Comment

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.