SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

minimalist beauty and makeup routine tips

Let’s be real for a minute. What’s easier than getting to know yourself for the sake of sanity and fuller piggy banks? Being lazy and ignorant while falling for every beauty advertisement, commercial, and clever packaging developed in the most robotic laboratories known to man. Don’t be shy to admit this because, make no mistake, I have bought many a mascara believing that my eyelashes would be longer than a Covergirl’s big glossy photo. This coming from a woman who used to manage junior photography staff editors who worked Photoshop tools like no one’s business. Beauty products and shoes are women’s stifling Achilles heel. You bring home a purchase, rip open the package, apply that gooey contents like its gold and then look in the mirror. Yeah, not bad but not exactly red carpet ready. And what happens to that tube or bottle? It rotates between dozens of other tried-and-failed items on the vanity like a child on a merry-go-round. Well no more, not for me at least. I’m smarter than this! I refuse to be a guinea pig. My hard earned dollar bills deserve better, and since I’m less than a month away from round-the-world slow travel, it’s time to nick this bad habit in the rosy essential oil bud! Realistically, building a minimalistic and signature beauty routine has a lot less to do with product hopping or impulse spending and a lot more to do with some good old self-reflection and research. Here are some beginner tips that can help beauty product junkies, like myself, get started down the road to recovery: 


A Signature Style Starts With Yourself 

Do me a favor and take a second to look in the mirror. Take a deep breath and tell yourself you’re hideous. Go ahead, I’ll wait. I’m kidding, I’m kidding. But you as might as well say that along with a slew of other false affirmations like “that girl’s fave products will totally work on me too since we both like the color purple” or “if I just use four times the recommended amount then it should work faster”. Let the denial end here. First, know that you are uniquely beautiful and trying to emulate someone else’s face, hair, skin, or nails is hog wash cockananny. Your signature style will radiate from what you know about yourself, not someone else, and this is actually the main secret to all those women who appear "effortless". When was the last time studying how Kim Kardashian does her makeup actually made you feel more like yourself? Exactly, so take some time to see you for who you are, flaws and all. What is your skin type and color? What texture is your hair? What colors looks best with those big brown eyes? And you won't get anywhere by avoiding all the reflective surfaces the house until you already have your face on. If you are looking to reduce the tubes and compacts in your bag then you need to start by finding products that work for you. Did my pep talk work? You can thank me later. 

A Minimalist Does Her Research 

After taking stock of all your beautiful and bodacious features, you need to get serious and do some committed research. The minimalist in you is screaming to get a grip and let those old eye shadow compacts you never use go, but the conspicuous consumer and hoarder in you is screaming “Halt, I might need that product in an emergency!” Well, let me tell you, I have run into very few dire eye shadow emergencies in my day and if you have a fabulous product then you don’t need to worry about hanging on to all the wannabe’s. Trust me, I have had my fair share of product stashes (bare mineral powders anyone?) but the truth is they just take up much needed real estate in the cabinet. A good place to start your research is online. No surprise there! There are makeup forums and blogs galore brimming with product reviews and problem solving tips, so start bookmarking some favorites (mine are here and here if you’re nosy). If you want to talk to someone face-to-face, hit up a high end spa, department store or cosmetic counter to see what veteran makeup artists or estheticians have to say about your regime (I literally just did this today for eyebrow maintenance tips!). And be prepared to spend a little bit more on products recommended by actual experts, but in the long run, you will be spending less money because these items will work and last longer. If you aren’t sure about a product, many stores will send you home with a sample. Seriously, no more stashing compacts away like a little squirrel. You don’t want to be featured on an episode of [insert pathetic TLC reality show here]. 

Patience Pays Off 

If you find the perfect foundation fit, good for you! It’s always a relief to find your cosmetic glass slipper. If you try several products and don’t find something you are totally in love with, don’t despair! First of all, if you ran into any runway model on the street I could guarantee you that they aren’t the dewy goddess as seen in their Vogue advertisements. They are blessed with a team of people who slather and set and blow-dry them all day long. As much as I would love to call upon an entourage of beauty consultants who trail behind me all day, they would just take up too much space in my trunk! Building a signature makeup routine that is both minimalistic and result-oriented takes time. It takes effort and a willingness to fail at first. Just keep the silver lining in sight. Once you combine quality products with a stellar understanding of who you are, the result is a streamlined beauty regime that doesn’t weigh you down like wet clothes. Thank goodness for that.



What are your beauty regime tips and tricks that keeps product hoarding at bay?

3 comments

  1. I loved the first tip! The third tip is something I could relate to, only regarding hair (had to find out what worked for me) lol. I actually think my makeup stash is pretty small. I don't have several foundations. Despite my love for mascara, I only keep one tube at a time. Now I do have a number of lipsticks! I think it's just that I, personally, don't feel the need or desire to have alot of makeup. Great post!

    xoxo,
    Maya| Petite & Unique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll, glad something was here for you to relate to! And it seems you learned your lessons and actually put them into practice. I currently have 3 tubes of mascara, not by choice, but can't wait to narrow it down to just one that actually does what it says on the packaging ;)

      Delete
  2. nice post about beauty improvements lol, but i'm a guy though.
    I also love the style of blogging here on becominglola.blogspot.com
    you see, there are 2 blogs that i've found so far to be very helpful and have something interesting for me whenever i visit, this one and http://danieluyi.com
    Keep up the good work you're doing here.

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.