SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

meatless monday: first harvest radish omelette


Are you there Monday, its me, Lola? And if you didn't hear, I took my well-heeled city girl derrier to the country and started farming a year ago as an apprentice (to investigate where our food comes from...oh lord). Organically of course. And I can remember that very first harvest like it was yesterday. Nothing quite beats the feeling of gently tugging a leafy root vegetable until it gives way to the rich, dense soil, showcasing its luminous array of rainbow hues. Springtime is the birth of the radish, and boy are they beautiful. Want to know a secret? I've never even eaten one before! Yes, that is how American I am. If it can't be found as one of the lifeless, nutrient depleted toppings on a Big Mac, then I have no idea what it is. Can I get an amen? Don't worry, that's all changing soon. This whole organic seasonal menu planning is quite alluring, and definitely keeps you on your toes in the kitchen. I was reading last night that cooking during our grandmothers generation used to be the product of necessity. They'd cook with whatever was in the pantry or fridge. Fast forward to our obese, diabetes prone, ignorantly content generation and it should be the same way for the most part. Gathering around your farm fresh bounty and letting ingredients inspire your dish. 


So with that, I present to you Ian. He was my fellow blue eyed farmer - a former architect graduate with a dirty mouth but a super sweet smile, and he really knows his way around a saucepan. This guy is a one stop wonder. Give him a pot, wooden spoon and secret ingredients and he'll show you breakfast, lunch or dinner... just moments later. It took Ian literally ten minutes to whip this up, but I promise you'll slowly savor every bite. Just like our grandmas did.


IAN'S RADISH, DILL & MUSHROOM OMELETTE
serves 2


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tb organic butter
  • 1 tb fresh dill, chopped
  • 2 organic white button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 small garlic scapes, minced
  • 2 small radishes, sliced
  • 4 organic eggs
  • salt and pepper, to taste

METHOD

  1. In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs in a bowl, working in the dill and scapes. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Pour in egg mixture, making sure to let edges pour around the sides to cook. Once set, carefully and boldfully flip your omelette. Let cook for a few seconds, then flip again. Add the cut veggies to on half of the omelette, and carefully slide onto a plate veggie side first. Fold over the other side to cover fillings.
  3. Repeat steps one and two for second omelett.
TIP
You can mix your second bowl of eggs while the first omelette's side is cooking.

To make this a frittata, simply pour herb and egg mixture into saucepan over medium-high heat, let set, then add veggies and cover over low heat until cooked in the middle. Just remember, it will still look wet but it should feel cooked when poked.

5 comments

  1. Nice story! A what a beautifull harvest, you must be proud. Lovely blog you have and so much inspiration. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatless Monday? I hadn't heard of it but that's a good idea! I don't envision going vegetarian but I'd like to cut my meat consumption, so that's a great tip ;) I love spring omelettes too, with fresh organic eggs and vegetables. I usually use asparagus, one of my fav Spring vegetables! Thanks for sharing this variation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get out of town! Meatless Monday hasn't reached France yet? Wow, thought everyone has heard of it. Well then i am thrilled I introduced you :)
      You're welcome!
      PS- totally did eggs with arugula this morning. No asparagus yet!

      Delete
  3. mmm, sounds delicious!! Love that story btw : ) 1 year ago, if you had told me I would one day find harvesting vegetables exciting, I would have laughed in your face. Now, digging around in the soil for new potatoes is right up there with seeing the latest Ryan Gosling movie ; )

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.