MEATLESS MONDAY: orange thyme beet salad & redcurrant cake

Sep 5, 2012




Though I love fashion, and often dream of putting together the perfect wardrobe, without any compromised (i.e. a limitless budget) - I still wouldn't consider myself superficial, or shallow... Or am I, now? Hello, my dears, Scarlett here. You've probably heard about my cooking adventure in London that's ahead of me. Well, it starts next week. Next week! Scream! And I'm not prepared, yet. Like, I haven't read all of The Modern Pantry cookbook, I don't have a neat little chef's hat (okay... scratch that, I've seen you roll your eyes), let alone adequate footwear! Eep! When did that happen?

So, today I went shoe shopping during lunch break. Not just any shoe, but a very specific shoe, indeed. The object of desire (or need, rather): a comfortable shoe for an aspirational chef (huhumm). Well, of course such a shoe must allow me to stand comfortably all day, without my swollen feet being grown into them at the end of the day (ugh...). It must allow my feet breathe - while at the same time protecting me from possible, accidentally dropped knives, heavy pots or - God forbid - boiling water. And, last but not least, it needs to be clean and hygienic, at all times (not like my furry slippers that I tend to wear in the privacy of my home's kitchen... cough). So, to summarize: not your average shoe, I'd conclude. The hunt for the suitable chef's footwear would have been difficult enough, however - without the following, additional variable that I added myself because I felt it was necessary.... Being: it's chicness.

At least, that's what I realized when standing in front of the Crogs shoe shelf (if you can actually call such ugliness shoes...). Now, consider me superficial and shallow, despite everything I've ever claimed... But honestly: shouldn't any shoe, including a chef's footwear, also be a just a little bit pretty to look at? Like... not made of rubber, entirely and solely, and not making you look like Pink Plastic Big Foot? I had to shake my head in disbelief... And I just couldn't get myself to buy those... Crogs (spitting now... Sorry, I still find it hard to say the word, let alone...). Though they probably would have been the perfect chef's footwear - I ended up opting for a Nike Lunarglide in black and white. Simple sneakers, light as a puffy mini merengues, comfy and cosy like furry UGGs, breathable like a flipflop. In other words: the (second) best chef's shoe option - right after the Crogs. A superficial person's choice, okay, I give in. But... just think about the light steps I will walk around the Modern Pantry's kitchen with? Rob, the chef (...and his complete team...) will probably think I'm nuts before I even started... That's my fate now. Cheers to pretty shoes - even in kitchens!


ORANGE THYME BEET SALAD

INGREDIENTS

  • 5 small beet roots
  • 1 kg coarse sea salt
  • 1 blood orange, juice
  • 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
  • 1 tbsp. grape seed oil
  • 1 tsp. acacia honey
  • 1 tsp. fleur de sel
  • some dried chile flakes

METHOD

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and clean the beet roots. Pat dry.
  2. Place the coarse sea salt on a baking sheet. Line the beets on top of the salt, with their roots pointing into the salt. Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes, or until the skin of the roots begins to bulge. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
  3. Remove the roasted peel, carefully, and slice each root into eighth.
  4. Prepare a dressing with the orange juice, thyme leaves, grape seed oil, acacia honey, fleur de sel and chile flakes. Pour over the roots and marinate them in it for half an hour, at least.
  5. Serve as a starter or as a side dish to (sorry, I know it's called Meatless Monday): a piece of really good meat, like a beet filet. Your boy(friend) will thank you.
    As for the redcurrant baiser cake, that one was delicious, and can be found here. See you soon - possibly after my London wanna-be chef episode... But soon!

    xo
    Scarlett

    3 comments:

    1. Oh my! This beet salad looks amazingly delicious! I love beets, pretty much in any form.

      I'd love for you to check out my blog, because I love yours!

      xoxo Victoria

      www.dreamerly.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. lola me encanta tu blog! tienes un poquito de todo ...tengo que enseñarselo a mi madre...le encantan los cupcakes!
      Eres de UK? ¿me harías un favor si tienes un TKMAXX cerca?
      Mi novio acaba de exportar su aceite de oliva virgen extra llamado "OV" www.orodelavega.es y me haría mucha ilusión si me dijeras que lo has visto en la estantería!! Aquí es un aceite muy valorado!
      muchas muchas gracias saludos desde España!!!!
      marienriquelme85@gmail.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. I don't like beet roots at all! But I'm looking for a nice recipe that I can try so I can convince myself to eat them!
      I might try it sometime, thanks.

      Sam Ana

      ReplyDelete

    I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

    xoxo
    Leti