MEATLESS MONDAY: white bean roasted garlic hummus

Aug 13, 2012

Ooops, I might have forgotten to post a Meatless Monday recipe last week. Lola was already worried, or maybe thought I eloped and will never return, laugh.

Truth is: I had the chance to go on a mini vacation, so I went to Sylt. Sylt is an intriguing northern German island, not unlike maybe the Hamptons (I've never been but been told there are similarities). The stay on the island was too short, but long enough to take in the beautiful nature. Soft green hills, sandy dunes, rose hip with bright purple flowers and heather bushes as far as the eye can see, a dark green sea, strong winds with giant seagulls floating it, deserted beaches, only vivid thanks to the scattered, cheerful blue beach chairs. What struck me most is the beautiful silver light that adorns the island day in day out. It's typical for the island. The conclusion: Sylt is the ideal setting to find the way to relaxation, to listen to the heart more intently and to enjoy being together. More pictures of Sylt can be found here.

Of course, after one lazy week, I'm now also back with a recipe: white bean and roasted garlic hummus. You can use it either as a started, with some flatbread, or in other dishes. I used this hummus in soft tortillas - and it was the divine combination.


WHITE BEAN & ROASTED GARLIC HUMMUS

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup dried white beans, cooked according to directions, or 1 can cooked white beans
  • 1 fresh garlic bulb, halved lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 lemon, juice
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1 drop harissa or chili paste
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • fleur de sel
  • sumac, sweet pepper, olive oil, and 3 sprigs thyme, for garnish

METHOD
  1. If you use dried white beans, soak them overnight in water. Drain and cook according to directions (I added an onion, a carrot, one leek and some herbs to the boiling water) for 50 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool. If you use tinned beans, drain and clean under the running water.
  2. In the meantime, preheat the oven to highest heat. Wrap both garlic halves separately in aluminum foil. Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes or until garlic is tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and the foil and let cool. Remove each bulb individually with a fork.
  3. Combine the beans, garlic, tahina, lemon juice, harissa and olive oil in a blender. Pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the yogurt, combine well.
  4. Season with salt and, if necessary, more harissa for spice. Pour in a bowl.
  5. Decorate with sumac, a dusting of sweet pepper and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
  6. Serve with warm flatbread or together with various salads in a tortilla.

    2 comments:

    1. YUM! I am a huge fan of hummus...gives me great memories of my childhood! gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. This looks INSANELY amazing. I will be making!

      ReplyDelete

    I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

    xoxo
    Leti