MEATLESS MONDAY: white bean roasted garlic hummus
- 1 cup dried white beans, cooked according to directions, or 1 can cooked white beans
- 1 fresh garlic bulb, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 drop harissa or chili paste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- fleur de sel
- sumac, sweet pepper, olive oil, and 3 sprigs thyme, for garnish
- If you use dried white beans, soak them overnight in water. Drain and cook according to directions (I added an onion, a carrot, one leek and some herbs to the boiling water) for 50 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool. If you use tinned beans, drain and clean under the running water.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to highest heat. Wrap both garlic halves separately in aluminum foil. Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes or until garlic is tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and the foil and let cool. Remove each bulb individually with a fork.
- Combine the beans, garlic, tahina, lemon juice, harissa and olive oil in a blender. Pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the yogurt, combine well.
- Season with salt and, if necessary, more harissa for spice. Pour in a bowl.
- Decorate with sumac, a dusting of sweet pepper and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with warm flatbread or together with various salads in a tortilla.