MEATLESS MONDAY: red curry roasted veggies & german cheesecake

Aug 27, 2012



Guys, whatever do you think of diets? Are you also, like me, surrounded by people who think that a carb free diet is the way to go? Well, I certainly don't. Though I must add that I am surrounded by such people - and it's not always fun... I am sort of biased. On the one hand, I value those carb-free peoples' strength to pass down all the good stuff, namely bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Honestly, how do you do it? If you belong to these people, well, I congratulate you on your willpower and discipline. And, well, also, I sort of hate you (just a tiny bit) because you're probably skinny. But that's okay.

On the other hand, whenever I hear of some one's carb free lifestyle, I feel it's slightly like a crime. Or a sin, even. Whenever people tell me about it, I feel like making the sign of the cross in front of my heart - and I'm not even a catholic! Let alone superstitious. But it just, somehow, doesn't feel right, to cut out all the good stuff nature provided us with. Surely, a potato can not be that bad? Surely, bread, that was here for hundreds and thousands of years, can not do any harm, but instead, provided strength and health to many people before us? I just don't understand it, I admit. But maybe someone can explain? I am listening, and trying hard to make sense of it, I swear (I'll try)!

So, but still... this specific dinner that I cooked was carb free. Carb free, me? Yeah, it happens, sometimes, in my household, too! However not because I find it hard to cut out the good stuff, but because I simply feel like consuming the maximum possible veggies, you know? Different approach. So here, those red curry roasted veggies... they're for you, sinners and non-sinners (from whichever perspective you might look at it... huhum), out there. Enjoy!

Note: oh, yeah, and I sort of got the inspiration for this delicious dish from a fellow food blogger, Love and Lemons (recipe here). Check her blog out, it's divine.

RED CURRY ROASTED VEGS

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 small broccoli head, cut into roses
  • 1 small cauliflower head, cut into roses
  • 2 potatoes, cubed
  • 1 aubergine (eggplant), cubed
  • 3 tbsp. red curry paste
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon acacia honey
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp. fleur de sel
  • 3 tbsp. black sesame, toasted
  • 1 cup thai basil leaves, coarsely chopped or torn apart

METHOD

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Wash and prepare the vegetables: cut the broccoli and cauliflower into roses and cube the potatoes and aubergine. Place in a bowl.
  3. Combine the coconut milk, red curry paste, honey, garlic cloves and half of the salt in a small bowl. Combine. Season to taste, with more salt, curry paste or a drop of harissa / sriracha sauce.
  4. Pour half the spice mix over prepared vegetables, and stir until combined / all the vegetables are coated in the coconut curry mix. Spread them evenly on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, turning the vegs maybe once or twice in the process.
  5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Arrange on a plate and drizzle the remaining coconut curry mix over. Add the toasted black sesame and the thai basil leaves. Serve tepid. If you must, with some rice on the side (yeah yeah, you hip-loving carb rejects... I'm not talking to you).
    The German cheesecake (Ha, you think that's funny, right? Given that Americans are famous for cheesecake... This one is different, but similar, in a way. Deutsch, halt... smile) can be found here, on my blog (also, a single piece of it made up for the lost amount of carbs and calories, nicely...). Guten Appetit!

    1 comment:

    I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

    xoxo
    Leti