The imagery here does the blissful taste of this breakfast injustice. Just make this now and thank me later, mmkay!
Strawberry Ricotta Pain Perdu
- loaf of stale bread (I only use challah or brioche)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1/2 cup organic ricotta (Italian if you can find it)
- 1 tbs vanilla
- pinch of salt
- cinnamon, optional
- butter or oil, for frying
- pure maple syrup, for serving
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and optional spices in a small bowl. Do not over-whisk. Dip your pieces of bread and set aside. Sprinkle extra cinnamon on each side at this time if you desire.
- In a small saucepan, melt about a tablespoon of butter until it sizzles. Brown each side of the bread pieces, and make sure not to flatten them. You want nice fluffly french toast. Repeat until all pieces are done.
- In a small bowl, whip half the strawberries and ricotta until smooth. Spread on one side of a bread piece, then sandwich with another bread piece. Continue until you have all "sandwiches" done.
- Top with remaining strawberries and maple syrup to serve. Voila!