Hello lovelies, I'm finally back from Belgium and ready for another Meatless Monday!
The week was fast, and I'm brimming with inspiration that I collected during my stay in Antwerp. Food in Belgium was okay(ish) surprisingly. But what did I expect? I only went out with guys (hey, I'm not complaining!) and they're main goal was to watch soccer all night long. Yup.
However, people and the city were amazing! Here's what I did (apart from working): I visited the MAS 'museum an de stroom' alone one evening. The view from the roof top terrace was incredible! I stood there for almost an hour and took it all in (one has to take advantage of the only few hours of sunshine, I reckoned). I like a proper view, as it gives you a good first overview of the city. Next, I discovered the city en pied for a few hours, shopped at foreign looking supermarkets and bakeries, bought a selection of snacks to nibble on in the hotel room, drank a cherry beer (seriously good stuff, can we have that in Switzerland, too, please?) outside in one of the many, many gloriously shabby looking pubs on my own while everyone was watching the soccer games. And I finished each day by reading in my hotel room until my lids fell closed.
My take away from the week away: It certainly feels good to discover a new city and to realize that you're actually more adventurous than you always thought. It's freeing! Guess we should all be a bit more adventurous in our everyday cities, nah?
This grilled corn recipe is a bit of an adventure, too, if you look at it first (what, butter AND lime, seriously?). But the flavors blended so easily that I quickly declared this to be my summer BBQ staple. And my brother made it a few days later and apparently they all loved it, too. So, fool-proof and family approved!
GRILLED CORN WITH MEXICAN SPICED BUTTER, LIME & CILANTRO
- 4 fresh corns, leaves removed
- 100 grams organic butter
- 2 tbsp. sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp. hot pepper
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp. fleur de sel (corn will always need more salt than you'd think, in my opinion)
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 limes, quartered, for decoration
- Prepare the grill or reheat the oven with the grill function turned on to 450F. (Note: I prefer the oven since the I don't like to clean grills...) Clean the corns from the leaves and the silk. Boil water in a large saucepan and salt it lightly. Cook the corns as a whole for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. When cool, cut each corn into three pieces.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the spices and remove from the flame. Add the lime juice to the butter-spice-mix.
- Brush each piece of corn with the butter-spice-mix. Spare some of the mix for later use.
- Put on the grill or in the oven and roast for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the corn, brush with the remaining butter mix, sprinkle with the cilantro leaves, garnish with lime wedges and serve.
Recipe for the individual cheesecakes can be found over on my blog BIMH, here. See you next Meatless Monday!