SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

RECIPE: blackberry farm pineapple upside down cake

It was the party of the year. The tasteful kitchen remodel complete. The living room decked out in antiques from their trip to Greece. The guest list like the who's who of NY Housewives. And a 24 karat, golden encrusted, porcelain cake platter topped with a three-tier beauty baked from box mix and frosted with Betty Crocker.

Those were the good 'ol days wasn't it? When Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker were always welcome to the after-dinner party in our mouth. Ahh the silky texture of high fructose corn syrup and natural color #14c. Of course key lime icing should be bright green. That just means the cows who made the butter had green spots on them! What's that? Duncan Hines doesn't list butter as an ingredient in their buttercream? Hmm. Ignorance is bliss. These days, the only thing better than using fresh brown speckled eggs from a happily roaming hen and unashamedly fatty butter or milk from a healthy grazing cow, is getting to see those chickens and holsters up close and thank them in person. Little did they know they'd be taking part in one of the most deliciously divine cakes of all time.

Wait. Listen. Let me see if I can adequately confer how mind blowing this cake is. Because I know you. You'll just sit there, reading, clearly drooling all over your keyboard and never once get off your derriere to make this cake. What a disservice to your belly. This cake is sinfully good. In fact I said a prayer by the time I took a third heaping slice in one night. "God,..." I cooed innocently, "please watch over me, and don't let this go to my ass. Amen." What! World peace as a prayer rarely works.

So take my word for it and please make this long awaited pineapple upside down cake. I really have been on a roll lately. I don't know what's going on, everything I touch lately turns into gold. Or rather, golden roasted pineapples. Its sweet. Its dense. Oh and it has vitamin c, magnesium, and helps prevent cancer. Thanks to the pineapple, cheers to the chicken and cows.
ROASTED PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
I never realized this cake is traditionally made in a cast-iron skillet. You can grease the sides to make flip and release easier. And don't let the long ingredient list fool you, this cake is extremely easy. Get your 'mis en place', read through the steps, then knock this out of the park like I did!
 

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pineapple, peeled
  • 4 tbs (1/2) stick unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup organic sugar
  • 1 ts organic cinnamon
  • 1/4 ts organic cloves
  • 1/8 ts organic fine sea salt
  • 6 tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup organic packed light brown sugar 

  • 1 1/2 cup organic flour
  • 2 ts baking powder
  • 1 ts organic cinnamon
  • 1/4 ts organic fine sea salt
  • 6 tbs unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out (or 1 tbs extract)
  • 1 cup organic sugar
  • 2 organic free range eggs, room temp
  • 1/2 cup organic heavy cream

METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Position rack to center of oven.
  2. To make the topping, chop the pineapple into chunks. Pour the melted butter into a small bowl. In another small bowl, whisk the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Dip each pineapple chunk in the melted butter then lightly coat in the sugar mixture.
  3. Arrange the pineapple wedges in the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet, making sure they are very close together, overlapping if necessary.
  4. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until the pineapple begins to brown on the edges. In the meantime combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan; cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the mixture becomes smooth. Pour the warm butter mixture over the roasted pineapple and set aside.
  5. To make the cake, in a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy.
  6. To the butter, add the vanilla and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides between additions. Beat in the flour mixture in three additions, taking turns with the cream. Spread the batter over the pineapple topping and smooth with a spatula.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until it passes the toothpick test. Let the cake cool in the skillet on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
  8. With oven mitts on, place a dinner plate over the skillet and carefully flip the cake. Pieces will be stuck, so scrape off and add to the cake. Serve warm!

6 comments

  1. After seeing pictures like these I wish I owned a skillet to make this cake! Do you reckon it will work in a well greased baking tin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so yum! i imagine it would go so well with a (generous) dollop of custard.

    lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! this is a recipe I was looking forward to ever since you first mentioned it! mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bahaha you totally crack me up!! :)

    This looks sooooooo good. You know, I don't think I've ever had a pineapple upside down cake! Or any upside down cake, for that matter. I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marushka, oh yes you can definitely use a baking tin! The best might be the ones used for cheesecakes that have a removeable bottom, but any old baking dish that will easily release and flip the cake works just fine. But I promise, the skillet really gets you excited :)

    @Safia, a gal after my own heart. That's how I ate it the third time...with some yogurt actually. Heaven.

    @Gigi, I know I am a week late in posting, forgive me! But it is divine. Please try it and let me know how it turns out mmkay?

    @Holly, glad to get those face muscles working lol. Honestly, I never have made any upside down cake either. That's why I said I'm on a roll. Confidence goes a long way with first-time baking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know why you didn't get any photos the first time! This looks sooo good! Way better than the Pineapple Upside down cake I made! I'll definitely try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.