RECIPE: best ever crusted buffalo macaroni and cheese
adapted from Food Network
- 7 tbs organic unsalted butter, plus more fro the dish
- 1 pound organic elbow macaroni
- 1 small organic onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s because they were free!)
- 2 tbs organic flour
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 1/2 cups organic half-and-half (or mix equal parts milk and cream like I did)
- 16 oz organic sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz organic pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup organic sour cream
- 1 cup panko crumbs (I used Parmesan herb, but you can use plain and add two tb of fresh parsley)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add two more tablespoons butter in the saucepan and stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread macaroni in the prepared baking dish and pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.