MEATLESS MONDAY: tofu stir-fry and doughnut balls

May 21, 2012



Lola here is so nice to actually host me again for a Meatless Monday, though I am currently really 'bad company' and in a bit of a shambles. I just broke up with my boyfriend (who was a really great guy, apart from the fact that he probably doesn't see the future the way I do. Which is... I guess, a big deal...). So yeah, I'm broken hearted. The full monty, you know. Have you been there, too?

In such a state, you need comfort food, and quick! Not the sort where a bucketfull of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream with a big spoon is the main treat. But something that pumps the life back into your veins. A typical Meatless Monday thing for me would be to go to my local market and pick the vegetable that's laughing at me. This, however, was more of a 'what's in my fridge' situation. It's a typical stir-fry, nothing exotic, salty meets savory, soothing, and quick to whip up.

TOFU STIR-FRY & DOUGH(NUT) BALLS

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 firm tofu
  • cornstarch, (or alternatively flour) for dusting
  • 3 shallots, sliced
  • 1 red chile, deseeded and minced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • fresh ginger, grated
  • 1/4 cup organic soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp organic acacia honey
  • 1 tsp crushed black pepper corns
  • 5 cups organic spinach, washed in ice water
  • 3 tbsp organic coconut oil, for frying
  • rice, to serve

METHOD:

  1. Prepare the tofu first: slice into equally sized cubes, pat dry and dust with cornstarch.
  2. Heat the coconut oil in a wok pan or large saucepan. Throw in the tofu and fry well from all sides for a few minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove the tofu from the pan and transfer to a paper towel.
  3. In the same pan add the shallots, chiles, garlic cloves and ginger, and sweat for about a minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic (or it will turn bitter). Spice with the pepper.
  4. Deglaze with the soy sauce, and add the honey. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, before adding the spinach. Continue to stir and fry until the spinach is wilted.
  5. Put the tofu back in the pan and heat through for a few seconds. Serve hot with a bowl of steamed Basmati rice and maybe a sprinkle of minced, fresh cilantro and a slice of lime on the side.
Here is the dessert that goes very well on sad, lonely days (after you've been all brave and created this actually quite nice tofu for one): Dough(nut) Balls.

Note: Of course, for those of you who are lucky not to be sad - and I really hope you are more lucky than me - then you can also make these lovely, dough-ey balls in a happy state! Or for your sweetheart, even. How about that? I'm just saying; it's a really good comfort dessert, just in case your heart needs company. And we all do sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I don't know you personal, I'm so Sorry. It must be hard to want each other, but not the same future. But I hope you will find joy and love! I right. now I will make a toast to you and grab my ice scoop and head for the fridge! I hope you'll cheer up and thank you so much for a wonderfull blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti