SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

RECIPE: carrot soufflé

So I'll start my Blackberry Farm Cookbook week with the most underwhelming recipe of the bunch. I know a few of you are dying for the sweet stuff (cough, AJ, cough...) and bare with me, the cakes and crumbles are coming. But I feel less guilty eating three heaping servings of sugar coated apples after I've had a spoonful or two of some nutrient rich carrots and the like. Now don't storm down my front door, I did of course enjoy this light and fluffy dish, if for no other reason than it gave a simple, rather untalented, wannabe home chef such as my self the right to tout around her alleged souffle success. No one has to know the ingredient culprit was farm fresh carrots instead of the more notorious and beloved silky smooth French chocolate. Give a girl a break. I made my first souffle and I rocked it! The only problem? Well, even a whopping one pound of carrots makes enough for only four people (at least in a gluttonous house like this one) so I much prefer individual ramekins to give off an air of sophisticated presentation and slow savoring. And also, I was frowning like a two year old who dropped her ice cream cone when I found out the red onions I added stayed crisp even after baking. I would have preferred a smoother texture throughout, so perhaps I might butter them up in a saucepan quickly next time. All in all, it was a pleasant dish, not too much trouble (hmmm, if you don't mind peeling and tedious work like that!) and I hear that its a great way to trick kids into eating veggies. Nothing beats a quick dish that mom can use to blindly bribe her children, am I right?

BLACKBERRY FARM'S CARROT SOUFFLÉ

 

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking dish
  • 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
  • 3/4 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup very finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 large eggs

METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish; set aside.
  2. Place carrots in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Generously salt water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender and easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 10 minutes.
  3. Strain carrots and transfer to the bowl of a food processor; process until pureed. Transfer carrot puree to a large bowl; stir in milk, cracker crumbs, cheese, onion, butter, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggs until foamy. Whisk eggs into carrot mixture until just combined.
  5. Transfer carrot mixture to prepared baking dish and bake until puffed and light golden brown on top, 40 to 45 minutes; serve warm.

5 comments

  1. Not a big fan of carrots but my oh my would my mom love this recipe she used to try and stick veggies in anything to get us to eat it. Some I've come to love- like spinach. but carrots not so much. as a mom it's my turn to try this for my son. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves carrots! We made the recipe and is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Carrots...raw with houmous, in salads, in cake. Definately fancy giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh carrots, how I hate them so much, unless in cake form! ha. I was expecting it to be a carrot cake style souffle but this is so much different. Love the twist on a savory souffle involving carrots! :) Still waiting for that pineapple upside down cake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was what you baked with the carrots! ha! what a fun recipe. almost healthy, nah? chch.

    what an honour to be on your "about"... i'm speechless girl. happy meatless monday! xx

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.