RECIPE: roasted sweet potato apple soup
ROASTED SWEET POTATO APPLE SOUP
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 leeks, sliced thinly
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 5 cups broth
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- fresh chives or cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl, combine the carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, olive oil, salt and pepper then toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until the carrots are tender and golden around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté, stirring, until tender 5 to 10 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables, broth, nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the soup mixture and strain. Return the soup to the pot add cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish to your liking. Serve immediately. Top with sour cream or yogurt if you like. I did!