MEATLESS MONDAY: strawberry cake & fava bean pilaf

Apr 30, 2012

Ever find someone's beauty radiates, permeates, and magnetizes you toward them? And they're not even in the same room...

That's how I feel about Scarlett, our very first guest blogger here on Becoming Lola. I don't know what the female version of bromance is, but whatever it is, we've got that going on. She captivated me when I first discovered her blogging all the way from Zurich, her words so honest and endearing. She's no Pioneer Woman or Tartelette, she's just a humble gal like me trying to find her way. And I don't say this to put her down, quite the opposite. I think sometimes we take for granted the bittersweet nature of getting our first start into something. Most readers of blogs are bloggers themselves, and they may be just starting, or they might be veterans. But what unites us sometimes is our yearning for success. This might be measured by a book deal cum movie like Julie did or a slot on a food television show or commercial like Ree did, or just the highest traffic or biggest advertising dollars. And I must admit, I got caught up in that a few months back, wondering when my little blog that could will see a golden pot at the end of the rainbow. But its not until I met Scarlett through her blog that I realized what I was taking for granted. I might not have a book (yet..its coming actually!), or a show, or even aspire to, but I know I am throwing my little pebble in the pond that sends ripples... which later reaches someone, somewhere. And on my lucky days, that someone is just like me. A wondering, pondering, eager soul who just wants to make their day brighter, their life fuller, and put a good meal on the table for themselves or their loved ones. So I couldn't think of a better way to introduce Scarlett as this blog makes some mighty changes for the better (big news to announce tomorrow). She is a dynamite veggie and fruit home chef, whipping fiber and calcium into something we actually would knock someone over in a samples tasting line just to sink our teeth into. I should know, I've tried a couple of her recipes just this week alone and have been fighting for the leftovers (I won...of course).

Now you may have heard about Meatless Mondays already. If you haven't, seriously what rock are you living under? Don't get me wrong, I blogged last week that I could never go vegan and struggle as a flexitarian, so it took a while for me to even pay this any attention. I thought it was just another abused trend that would soon enough die and be replaced with Truffle Tuesdays or Whoopie Pie Wednesday, but as my passion for all things "save the earth, the world, and myself" grew I decided to open my eyes and realized what a wonderful movement this is, second after Slow Food. All you have to do is use the power of choice. That's it! If you don't even have the energy to do that, its time you call Dr. Phil or something. Going meatless once a week, every week, will keep you looking slim and sexy since red meat contributes to obesity, and your heart will only break at the hands of boys since red meat also causes cancer and heart disease. The fresh water and fossil fuels you'll save will also get you on the shortlist for a Nobel Peace Prize. It's true. No not really, low carbon footprint is not yet a category, but I'll send you a cake in the mail for your goody two shoe ways.

Speaking of cake, let's let Scarlett do what she does best. Every Monday, set your smart phone, alarm clock, or talking parrot to remind you that this blog is where you need to be for delicious, farm fresh dishes and desserts that will have you thinking meat is as useless as those toaster pop tart instructions. This week, Scarlett teases us with decadent strawberry cake and a vibrant bowl of fava bean quinoa pilaf here. Next week she'll put her own words down, but for now, tell us, what are your fave meatless recipes?

SIMPLE STRAWBERRY CAKE

INGREDIENTS

  • 3/4 cup organic butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup organic sugar, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 1/2 cup organic  flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 organic, freerange egg
  • 1/2 cup organic milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 16 oz organic strawberries, halved
  • icing sugar

 

METHOD

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking dish, and dust with a little flour. 
  2. Combine the butter with the sugar, first. Beat until homogenous and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and milk. Then sift in the flour, add the baking powder and salt. 
  3. Combine well, then pour the mix into the tin. 
  4. Place the strawberries on top of the dough, face side down. You might want to sprinkle a little extra sugar on top, this makes a nice sweet crust. 
  5. Bake for about 1 hour. 
  6. Let cool and then dust with icing sugar before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. You write so beautifully! & I totally agree with you about the yearning for success thing. You have such a great outlook on blogging!

    I'm excited to see what the exciting big news is!

    That strawberry cake looks absolutely delicious. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that strawberry cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dear, i can't wait for meatless mondays to kick ass!
    smile.
    biggest hug
    s

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a really good strawberry cake recipe. This is by far the best one I found. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti