SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on BECOMING LOLA I share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as living a pure clean life as a style-obsessed digital nomad with a no BS approach to ethical fashion + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: Building A Minimalist Wardrobe.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

RECIPE: oatmeal cranberry choco chip cookies


Here's the thing. I woke up yesterday in my own bed for the first time in two weeks (a long story for another day) and felt the urge to cultivate some semblance of a healthy morning start, if you will. Recharge the batteries after half a month of binge eating. Well, not so much binging as a food hostage situation. The hostage, of course, being healthy food. Which was nowhere to be found ever since leaving my house two weeks ago. Days of pizza grease, even greasier chicken wings slathered in a sauce I can only presume was buffalo, among other trifling excuses for dinner like grilled cheese and chicken wraps with, you guessed it, a heaping supply of buffalo sauce. Oh and the alleged Oreo creme tart pie thingy. Don't turn away from me in disgust. It gets better!

So after two weeks of this nonsense, I wasted no time setting my sights on recuperating from the diet I let wreak havoc. A hearty bowl of real oatmeal and green tea with maybe a side of fruit. Ahh the images of all those antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins pranced around in my mind as I dragged my tired butt out of bed and up the stairs to the bizarrely empty kitchen. This kitchen desperately missed me. And I it. But what was this! Real oats are pretty, well, real. I actually have never seen them before. I've done my due diligence learning the difference between pathetic instant and the mightier Irish cut, but whole grain old fashioned oats were huge and quite tasteless. When made with just water (I was out of milk) it left little to be desired, even after adding sugar. So, feeling rather slightly deflated, I only half satisfyingly ate my bowl of oatmeal mixed with spices, honey and a bit of peach yogurt (a trick I told you guys about already). But with every loss, a triumph lurks in the distance. At least that's the way everyone should see life. So I decided to show that canister of real oatmeal who was boss. You wanna show me dry, bitter, lackluster grains? Well, I'll show you the best damn oatmeal cookies you ever did see or taste. And this is no gimmick folks. They are so good you will be calling my name. And you don't even know it. That's how powerful it is. Enjoy!

Best Oatmeal Raisin-Cranberry Walnut Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 3/4 cups organic all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon organic salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) organic unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/2 cup organic real maple syrup
  • 1 cup organic packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 organic cage-free eggs
  • 2 teaspoons organic pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cup organic old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup organic walnuts
  • 3/4 cup organic semisweet chocolate chips (optional)

METHOD

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine well.
  3. In a separate bowl beat room temperature butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add room temperature eggs, one at a time, beating each until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and combine. Add the flour mixture little by little, mixing until fully incorporated. Use a large wooden spoon to mix in the oats and the raisins and cranberries.
  4. Put the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare your baking sheets, lining each one with parchment paper.
  5. After about 10-15 minutes, remove the dough from the refrigerator and spoon out large scoops of dough making balls about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. Place 6 balls on each pan, no more so they won’t be too close together.
  6. Lightly press each ball to make a disk that is about 1/2 inch thick.
  7. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, turning them half way through, until the edges are lightly brown and the inside should look uncooked.
  8. After removing from the oven, leave the cookies on the hot pan for 10 additional minutes, then a few more minutes on a cool rack.
  9. Serve!

img source: here

1 comment

  1. Super ricas esas galletitas. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.