SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on BECOMING LOLA I share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as living a pure clean life as a style-obsessed digital nomad with a no BS approach to ethical fashion + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: Building A Minimalist Wardrobe.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

RECIPE: indian-style cream of corn soup


I've been reading Michael Pollan, my new hero by the way, in that sort of "if he were one third Jamie Oliver and another third Ryan Gosling with the mouth of Gordon Ramsay, I would be his politically correct sex slave" kind of way, and his writing is so fascinating. I've seen his name scattered throughout Barnes and Noble for years, but it wasn't until his books were literally sharing the small amount of oxygen left in this tiny airport bookshop that I decided to finally buy one of his highly acclaimed investigative journalistic compendiums, The Omnivore's Dilemma. And without the intention of sounding cheesy, I'm so glad I did. It really is a life changer. The only thing I resent is that not everyone is a geek like me or even a book whore (read hoarder) like I and many others are, so the fact that he wrote a book that would take the average working human weeks if not months to read makes me sad because the content in this treasure trove of a book should be what replaces the crappy reality TV nonsense we are subjected to these days. The sad truth is my friends, if you don't already know, pretty much all Americans are made of corn. Well, unless of course you are one of the few savvy folk who eat fresh farm-to-table goods from the market or a CSA.

But what I learned from his book and the week of watching documentaries afterwards (seriously I was so disturbed I had to hunker down and watch this madness in real time action...unfortunately its even worse on the big screen than reading descriptions) was that literally everything from soda (which is 86% corn sugar and the rest water) to hamburgers (which of course are made from cows who never get to roam outside, are force fed corn when they naturally only eat grass) to the mug of hot cocoa you love cuddling up to during winter (which is corn syrup, corn starch, artificial flavor, corn based preservatives, marshmallows made of corn syrup and gelatin, with just a teensy bit of milk powder) and don't even get me started on the horrific things I learned about store-bought ice cream (if you can handle the truth just comment and I will update this post for ya!).

So as infuriating as it is to learn that government puts profits ahead of the natural health of its people and way ahead of global warming issues (because if you didn't know, corn production is slowly killing us outside of the food we eat) I decided I would not only start joining some great non-profits trying to fight this craziness but I would personally boycott the stupidity that is a 90% corn diet and make my own whole foods with whatever I have around until I can afford to shop purely from local farmers and fill in that goodness with Whole Foods or Trader Joes. First order of business you wonder? Well, creamy corn soup of course! And this soup is so freaking tasty that not only could I not stop eating it (sorry Grandma, tried to save you some!) but this is the way corn should be done. Grown naturally, harvested and boiled up in an aromatic pot of goodness. Of course you don't have to grow your corn like I did, buy it at the market this weekend and all is forgiven. Then after you finish licking your bowl and spoon to death, because you will trust me, go learn all you can about what your grocery foods are really made of. It just might be the reason you're sick right now.

SPICY CREAM OF CORN SOUP
makes 4 servings

Ingredients 

  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 chipotle chile, jalapeno or habanero diced
  • 4 ears of corn, kernels off
  • 6 cups vegetable stock 
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin 
  • 1 tomato, chopped 
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste 
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or defrosted frozen corn 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste 

 Method

  1. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, chili powder and diced pepper and sauté 1 minute more. Add corn kernels then sprinkle with turmeric, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent corn kernels from burning or sticking to bottom of pan. Remove from heat, and set aside.
  2. Combine corn mixture with the tomato, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, and vegetable stock in saucepan, and bring to a boil. Throw corncobs in pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, place bell pepper in blender with heavy cream, and blend well 1 minute. Strain. Pour a bit of this sauce into squirt bottle, and set aside to use for optional garnish.
  4. Remove corncobs and pour mixture into a blender and purée 3 minutes. Repeat until mixture is completely puréed. Strain
  5. Return mixture to saucepan. Add bell pepper cream sauce, and heat over medium-low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Do not boil because cream may curdle.
  6. To serve, pour into bowls, and garnish with red pepper sauce or herbs and sour cream. Voila!

2 comments

  1. Tell me about shop bought icecream! This can only be good for the waistline!

    However, I do want to know how much cream goes into the soup as it's not in your list of ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy! Oh my gosh its horrible. I started reading articles but had to stop myself and just made a promise to never buy from the grocery store again unless its whole foods. Better to buy from specialty shops, directly from a creamery, or online! But here is what I started reading. Haha good luck :)

    http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/the-ice-cream-experiment-take-one

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-393432/The-chilling-truth-ice-cream.html

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.