BREAKFAST CLUB: gwenyth paltrow's buttermilk pancakes

Jul 27, 2011

Here is what I love about pantry staple recipes- you can literally roll out of bed and make them. There's nothing that a little butter, sugar and flour can't solve. Hunger being one of them. Sure, I sometimes find myself craving the fancier things in life. Fresh out of the oven cinnamon rolls slathered in cream cheese icing, some chocolate and blueberry rugelach with a cold glass of milk, or even delicately baked breakfast breads if I'm feeling ambitious. But who the heck has time to wrap dough for an overnight sleepover when hunger pains are roaring their ugly head? Not me. So this morning, I wanted breakfast, and I wanted it fast. I had no more fresh fruit (so long classic blueberry) and no fancy dressings, but I did have buttermilk hot off the farmer's market. I am yet to find the epitome of buttermilk perfection when it comes to pancakes, and I don't know why. And with all the food blog chatter about Gwenyth Paltrow and her newfound culinary "expertise" I was keen to try a recipe from her recent cookbook. The recipes are about her father, and slap me if I'm lying, but I hardly believe Mrs. Paltrow wakes up at the crack of dawn to prepare hearty meals for her family. But you can't blame a gal for trying to exploit her popularity, right? Right.

As for the pancakes? Well, they are okay. Nothing to write home about. Lady G asks that you let the batter sit overnight. Ha! Who has the time. Certainly not I Gwenyth. I whipped these bad boys up, and saved half my batter in the fridge to see if it will make any difference in the outcome by tomorrow. I also changed around a few things. For me, homemade pancakes are incomplete without vanilla. Am I wrong? And also, I added a little flax seed meal for a nutrition kick. You don't even notice its there! So if you are on a new health regime like me, or want to trick the kids into eating it, batter is the best disguise. Until next time...

Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from My Father's Daughter, by Gwyneth Paltrow

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional)
1 heaping tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
milk or water for thinning batter
organic maple syrup

In a medium pan or cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour the melted butter into a small bowl, and return the pan to the stove. Once the butter has cooled slightly, whisk in the buttermilk and the eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined (better to have small lumps than to over mix your batter). Ladle batter into the greased pan or skillet. When the top of the pancakes are covered with bubbles (after about 2-3 minutes), flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes or so, until pancakes are cooked through and golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm until it's time to serve.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, why oh why do I bumb on these "buttermilky" recipies now all the time. So some one PLEASE tell me what is "buttermilk"? And any ideas how to make it, in a country where no such thing exists? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture! I've got this cookbook...haven't made anything yet...just like looking at the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook? Admittedly, I haven't cooked anything from it yet because I'm in the middle of a move, but it's so pretty! I agree about the necessity of vanilla extract and flaxseed, though. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti