BREAKFAST CLUB: buttermilk waffles & salmon scrambies

Jul 30, 2011


Its brunch time. I woke up late (hey, sick gal here) and so its brunch time. I love brunch. No, wait. I don't think you understand. I love, love, love brunch. I think..maybe, I even love brunch more than cupcakes. Gasp. Yes, it has come time for this pink swooning cupcake loving girl to become a woman, and so, I now brunch often. I've discovered eggs benedict for the first time at a large mahogany table in Connecticut (ahhh, hollandaise sauce, you unhealthy bastard you), deep fried french toast in Manhattan, and even lofty buttery biscuits smothered in homemade summer fruit jam in Brooklyn. The best part about brunch? The cringe worthy combinations. If you would have asked me a year ago if I'd be eating salmon in my morning eggs, I'd accidentally pierce your eardrums. This of course would be from my hyena-like laughter.

But alas, here I am, knee deep in waffle batter while the boy cooks his now infamous scrambled eggs, a dish he picked up secret methods for while visiting Connecticut. Simple pleasures. Enjoy them.

BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
from Williams-Sonoma's Breakfast Comforts
makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpouse flour
2 tb malted milk powder/ graulated sugar
1 tb baking powder
1ts baking soda
1/4 ts fine sea salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 tb unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, seperated and room temperature
1 ts pure vanilla extract
pure maple syrup for serving

METHOD:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200F and have ready a rimmed baking sheet. Preheat a regular (not Belgian) waffle iron.
  2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whistk together the buttermilk, melted butter, egg yolks, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. (The batter will be quite lumpy.)
  3. In a small bowl, using a clean whisk or a handheld mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Scoop the whites onto the batter and, using the whisk, gently fold them in evenly. The finished batter may have a few small lumps.
  4. If your waffle iron is not nonstick, lightly oil the grid. Ladle some of the batter over the grid, close lid, and cook until waffle is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the over. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve waffles hot with plenty of butter and syrup!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! These look amazing. I rarely have waffles/pancakes for breakfast, but this seems like the perfect Saturday brunch meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm that homemade jam looks like it takes it to a whole other level, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing!
    I have to agree with you, eating salmon and eggs doesn't make any sense unless it's for brunch!

    gtandph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti