SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on BECOMING LOLA I share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as living a pure clean life as a style-obsessed digital nomad with a no BS approach to ethical fashion + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: Building A Minimalist Wardrobe.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

chunky monkey business smoothie...

Most of my mornings start off with fruit these days. Give a girl a new house and boyfriend, and all of a sudden you have a health nut mama bear on your hands. I mean really, I still owe you all tons of updates (did you know I'm a redhead now? just kidding!) and the most important update is that I'm a wannabe nutritionist in training. Maybe its my biological clock. Maybe its the power to afford Whole Foods. Market groceries Maybe its that red meat is starting to me make me sick and Burger King commercials make me puke. No really. I always sneered at Burger King because I knew at least there was Wendy's, but now have you seen their new commercial? Natural cut fries! What the hell does that mean! So before, Wendy's was using something other than potatoes for our fries? Geesh. So yes, I am becoming a pompous health nut, semi-vegetarian, big-mouthed opinionated foodie. Anyone want to join me?

But I digress. I now wake up to the sound of birds chirping, make my bed, skedaddle to the kitchen, and see what I can do with the array of fruits stocked to the brim in my kitchen. You see I am fond of berries now. But bananas are on the receiving end of my favoritism. And now that I have a new blender, it was only a matter of time before the bananas met their fate with one my favorite creamy delights. Peanut butter of course! Come on people, this is nothing new. Stop gasping. Bananas and peanut butter go together like sugar and butter. Its just that, well, chocolate makes the world go round, makes babies smile, ends war and brings on world peace. So, hell, I chucked some chocolate in that blender too. Now you can gasp.

But get this. I now plan on sharing all my annoyingly tedious research. I mean you can't assume recipes are healthy. A few minutes of looking ingredients up is all it takes. Turns out, a two tablespoon serving of peanut butter contains 7 grams of protein. Your body uses the amino acids found in protein to build and repair muscle tissue. In addition to building metabolism-boosting muscles, protein-rich foods like peanut butter keep you feeling fuller for longer (woo hoo! portion control!). The protein in peanuts, like other plant proteins, contains an incomplete set of amino acids, so you should have a glass of milk with your peanut butter dishes. Lucky for you, this smoothie calls for milk. And lest not forget, those infamous monounsaturated fats in peanut butter lower your risk of developing heart disease, the number one killer of women these days. Yuck.

Get it? Got it! This is the perfect sweet treat. No one can say no to sweet and sassy bananas, peanut butter will keep your tush in tip top shape, and chocolate is the perfect indulgence. I use cocoa powder now, because store bought syrups contain that substance we dare not speak of (high fructose corn syrup! double yucky) and of course finding fresh organic milk and yogurt is just what the doctor ordered. Hmmm, although I have much research to do on milk!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
a.k.a. Chunky Monkey Business

Ingredients
2 large bananas (frozen)
6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
1 cup milk (soy, whole, or skim...your preference)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I now use cocoa powder instead/2 teaspoons)

Method:
  1. Slice the bananas, and save four slices (to be used as garnish).
  2. Place the bananas, yogurt, chocolate, milk, and peanut butter in a blender or food processor.
  3. Blend until smooth and creamy. Garnish and serve!

12 comments

  1. looks so delicious and fancy! love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowwww. I really love this post, I am studying nutrition at arizona state university so I am definitely with you and agree 500%!!! (the commercials are sick). and this smoothie looks incredible. definitely going to be trying it! xx


    www.dragonnfruit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I will give this a try tomorrow morning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! I haven't been to your blog in so long! Hope all is well love :) See your posting just as yummy recipes as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love banana :)

    Claire M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love smoothies. They are my staple breakfast all summer long, and they always involve bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds amazing! My husband and son would die over one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing. I will be making this in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a well written useful post, love the information you've offered here, definitely inspires me to be a bit healthier!

    http://www.ragsoflove.com/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! I love starting the day with a smoothie - it's so good to know I have had some of my five a day before I've even left the house! Also you sound so much like me - as soon as I moved in with my boyfriend I became obsessed with making sure he was eating enough fruit and veg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so incredibly delicious. Need to try it!

    : signe
    : the daily savant :
    : the daily savant : Blog Lovin

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.