sunday best, double frosted buttermilk bundt cake...

Aug 8, 2010

There once was a kitchen brimming to the culinary rim with three cheese potato gratin, basil lemon pesto marinated baked salmon, and fresh steamed broccoli. What's a girl to do? Sit back, relax, and eat? Why I think not! There's no such a meal in granny's house (now that I am here anyway) without dessert, and even though she was busy whipping up her infamous (no really, its got its own fan club) banana bread for me to try (which I successfully convinced her just would not do, and will be baked, wrapped and stored away for breakfast tomorrow) I quickly got to my handy dandy blogroll to see who would inspire the very perfect dessert to go with such a luscious and charming 3 course meal. Something light. Something fluffy. Something where I can do an impromptu original ganache recipe (which I did! so proud). But something still flavorful and rich in its simplicity. Of course, a quick trip to Paris is always the cure!

Double Frosted Buttermilk Bundt Cake
adapted via Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess, graciously brought to my awareness via Paris Pastry

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose-flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cups soft unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs

Frostings:
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
pinch of salt
1 cup confectionars' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
***
about 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
about 2 oz milk chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tb butter
1 ts vanilla extract
1 ts hazelnut extract

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
Pour the buttermilk into a measuring cup and stir in the vanilla.
Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Reduce the speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between additions.
Add alternating increments of the flour mixture and the vanilla-buttermilk, blending well after each addition; this should take 3 to 5 minutes.
Pour batter into a greased pan and bake for 40 minutes until the cake is beginning to shrink away from the sides and a cake tester comes out clean.
If using a mold with a lot of patterning, leave to cool for 20-40 minutes before unmolding.
my mis en place, as always now...the sunset dancing upon my batter, ready for the oven...
Frostings:
Combine the brown sugar, milk, corn syrup, butter and salt in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and let it stand for 1 minute.
Add confectionars' sugar and the vanilla, mix with an electric mixer until well blended.
Pour over Bundt cake while it's still a little hot, followed soon thereafter with ganache below.
***
Combine all ingredients in double broiler and melt chocolate until creamy and well blended. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 seconds. Pour over bundt cake.

Eat, drink, be merry!

THE VERDICT:
Hmmm. Now the frosting, it was killerrrr. I couldn't stop reaching onto the cake platter to scoop up more to put atop my small bite left in my plate. The chocolate does overpower the praline frosting, so I would definitely, definitely, layer that better next time with a higher ratio. But both frostings are stupendous, I highly recommend them for this and any other cake. But the cake itself, while nice and moistly spongy, came out tasting somewhat like cornbread for some reason! I didn't say anything aloud of course, but low and behold, five minutes later with mouths chomping around the table, both my aunt and granny brought it up as well. Failure. They loved it, but it was unanimous that there was distinct cornbread-like texture/taste/quality to it. I refuse to make this recipe again until I find out why! Anyone have any ideas? I am positive there was no cross contamination of flours. At least I hope so....

WHAT I LEARNED:
I learned that Nigella is a goddess and her book is helping me become one too. Really and truly, reading a few pages here and there each night has been a delight, and her utter appreciation and reminder of being at ease while baking has given me a silent yet apparent (but not boastful) confidence in the kitchen. As for the recipe, just a few tips. The frosting does dry hard, so while I was in a busy kitchen with people in and out of the oven, I had the icings sitting in the stand mixer bowl happily waiting to be used. Only thing is, after 20 minutes, that thing was rock solid. So use right away as soon as you cool your cake! And if you do find yourself in my predicament, heat up some heavy cream with a pinch of sugar or vanilla in the microwave, turn the mixer on low, and slowly pour in until the frosting revives itself.

4 comments:

  1. I love this cake! I make it again and again and again, by the request of my family and friends. Odd that yours tasted like corn bread! It looks prrretty though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks amazing!!!
    yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so yummy, I've never made a bundt before but I've always wanted to try and I definitelt will now xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously mouth watering! I have an instant sweet tooth every time I visit your blog - Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti