i ran out of flour, but not out of spirit...

Aug 3, 2010

I'm not feeling too well. You may be wondering why. You may already know the answer. Well, its simple really. My failed pie crust has ruined my life. Temporarily (I am known for exaggeration). Not only did it steel my virginity without so much as a touch of sympathetic humility, but it robbed me of all my flour! Yeah, can you believe it. Damn pie crusts. Well who has the last laugh now, eh? Not only did I find a flourless recipe to try, but Granny just called me from the store (yeah, she decides to go AFTER I have started baking and could have requested flour) and so I of course asked her to bring home some ice cream. Because the only thing better than a illegally rich, dense, chocolate cake with cheesecake swirled in...is a rich, dense, chocolate cake with cheesecake a la mode style. If only I had the time and energy to make homemade caramel again. Mmmhmm. You can take my flour (I say aloud to no one in particular), but you'll never take my spirit!!

PS- If you are in my predicament as well (out of flour or just too lazy to get more, minus the whole family member being at the store right after you start a flourless recipe, which is like a slap in the face to your ingenuity if you really think about it...well you're too high on chocolate to care anyhow) then please sit back, relax and don't fret. Find more flourless baking fun here.

Flourless Marbled Chocolate Cake
via Fine Cooking

For cheesecake batter:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the chocolate batter:
10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
5 oz. (10 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
3 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs. dark rum or espresso
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch table salt
Cocoa powder for dusting

Method:
Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 300°F. Lightly grease a 9x2-inch round cake pan.

Make the vanilla (cheesecake) batter: In a medium bowl (of course I used the beloved KitchenAid with a whip attachment), beat the softened cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until well blended and no lumps remain. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until blended. Set aside.

Make the chocolate batter: In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and butter in a large metal bowl over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave. Whisk until smooth and set aside to cool slightly. With a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs, sugar, rum or espresso, vanilla, and salt on medium high until the mixture is pale (mine did not get as pale, so don't worry if yours is not either) and thick (nor did it get that thick...come on Fine Cooking!), 3 to 4 min. With the mixer on low, gradually pour in the chocolate mixture and continue beating until well blended.

Combine and bake: Spread about half of the chocolate batter in the bottom of the pan. Alternately add large scoopfuls of each of the remaining batters to the cake pan. Using a knife or the tip of a rubber spatula, gently swirl the two batters together so they're mixed but not completely blended. Rap the pan against the countertop several times to settle the batters.

Bake until a pick inserted about 2 inches from the edge comes out gooey but not liquid, 40 to 42 min; don't overbake. The top will be puffed and slightly cracked, especially around the edges. It will sink down as it cools. Let cool on a rack until just slightly warm, about 1-1/2 hours. Sprinkle cocoa on the bottom of the cake before inverting it onto another plate; the cocoa will keep the cake from sticking when you slice and serve it.
Tip: To slice the marble cake neatly, use a hot knife (run it under hot running water and dry it). Wipe the blade clean between slices.

THE VERDICT:
Holy crap! If this isn't the absolute easiest cake I have ever made in my life, I don't know what was. Perhaps Nigella's sour cream cake, but that one did intimidate be quite a bit, going into unknown baking ingredient territory and all. But this? This is exactly what Nigella means about no fuss baking. To enjoy the time before, during and after. Its not about slaving away or sweating like a marathon runner. And my cake turned out so pretty! If I do say so myself. The marble effect is quite simple if you don't overthink it. I can't say it would have made the cover of Martha Stewart Weddings or anything, but it sure is enough to make a smile appear on Granny's face when she walks in. Now that is the picture I want...

WHAT I LEARNED:
Absolutely nothing...other than to not sweat the small stuff, and mis en place really is quite helpful!

photo above here

3 comments:

  1. Y
    U
    M

    I think i just drooled a little! this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks delicious. I need an excuse to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks out of this world!

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti