SLIDER

HEY GIRL, HEY!

Thanks for stopping by! Here on the FEMMEBOSS we share stories on becoming minimalist, as well as overcoming "invisible illness" in a digital age, plus a no BS approach to ethical style + travel. Grab a glass of wine and start here: I Need New Female Friends.

SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A POST!

live a minimalist life with a doily wreath diy


I know its not just me who has a silly love affair with doilies. If the doily were a man, it would be that one gorgeous guy you stalked back in high school, hoping you could just take him home, sit him down, and stare at his incomparable beauty. No? You didn't do that too? Well, at least doilies are beautiful white breaths of fresh air that are literally everywhere these days, not just Grandma's attic. I mean really, you can buy a pack for a buck at a flea market and feel like you won the lottery. So next time you score a jumbo sack of these bad boys and come home feeling like you have to hide your winnings from your husband (him= "oh hon, not againnnn!") you just shoot him a little evil smirk because you have a plan. Yup, this time they won't collect dust. This time, they will light up!


Paper Doily Wreath
via Martha Stewart

What You Need:
  • 24-inch wreath form
  • 30-inch wreath form
  • 24-gauge wire
  • White spray paint
  • 20-foot strand of white holiday lights
  • Scissors
  • Paper bouquet holders (try ten 8.8-inch ones, twenty 6.4-inch ones, twenty 4.8-inch ones, and fifty 3.2-inch ones from germanplaza.com)
Directions:

Step 1
Working on a covered surface, lay a 24-inch wreath form inside a 30-inch one. Attach them with 24-gauge wire at 6 to 8 evenly spaced points.
Step 2
In a ventilated area, coat combined wreath form with white spray paint. Let dry.
Step 3
Wrap wreath form with a 20-foot strand of white holiday lights (test lights beforehand), leaving the plug end unwrapped (as much as is needed to plug in).
Step 4
With scissors, widen the center-hole slits slightly in paper bouquet holders (we used 10 8.8-inch ones, 20 6.4-inch ones, 20 4.8-inch ones, and 50 3.2-inch ones). Poke a finger through center hole of each bouquet holder (from front to back) to create openings large enough to accommodate a light bulb.
Step 5
Beginning with largest ones, place bouquet holders evenly around wreath, slipping a light through each hole so that bulb bases, not bulbs, rest against paper. (From time to time, hang wreath, and step back to ensure that the arrangement is balanced and attractive.)
Step 6
Add remaining bouquet holders in descending size order. Use smallest bouquet holders to cover centers of larger ones and to fill in any gaps. Hang near an outlet. Unplug when unattended.
If you enjoyed this post, there are hundreds of others snippets of hand written love waiting for you. Come join my other readers and follow me: Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments

  1. Hi Lola!!!
    I send you an email via google but I think that didn't work!!
    Thanks for this idea of light I really like it I think I would try to make one with flower or libery tissue!
    But I like the ambianc of the photo, it's again a good idea for my tea shop!

    ps: sorry for my bad english..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, so strange why it doesn't work! You can email me again if you like! And I want to see how your light turns out when you make it!!
      PS- your english is great :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I am DEFINITELY gonna try this. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mylinh Tran3:02 PM EDT

    Hi Lola,

    Thanks so much for posting this up!

    Will try & make this for my bestfriend's xmas present. She absolutely loves doilies!

    Thanks again!
    xx Mylinh

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalie, let me know how it goes! And post pics :)

    @Mylinh, you're welcome, so glad you all like it. Good luck with the gift for your friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! This post was so lovely (I found it on Oh, Hello Friend) that I decided to share it on my own blog and credited you and Martha as well. View it (and some other ideas) here:

    http://hurraykimmay.blogspot.com/2010/10/craft-project-lovin-diy-shares-for.html

    Thanks for sharing such a lovely post!

    xo Kimmay

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you attach them, hot glue or just putting them on the lights?

    ReplyDelete

© Beconing Lola • by Maira G.