recipe: how to make cotton candy cupcakes
Follow my new recipe adventures over at Pick Me Meal Club!
Cotton Candy Cake Recipe Batch #1
- 10 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 14 oz sugar
- 11 oz all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and plop cupcake papers into baking pans.
- Cream butter until light. Add sugar all at once and continue mixing on medium speed until very light in color. Stop and scrape down, and continue beating. (Note: The better you scrape down the bowl the better your creaminess will be.) Add salt at this stage.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. In another bowl, add eggs and yolks together. (Note: if you crack eggs first, the yolks will not stick to the bowl.) In a measuring cup, add milk and vanilla extract.
- *You are going to utilize a Dry, Wet, Dry, Wet, Dry method*
- Add egg mixture to butter bowl a little at a time (one thirds at a time) making sure mixture comes together fully after each addition. Just after the last bit goes in, scrape down bowl and continue mixing.
- In the above mentioned method, you turn mixer down to the lowest setting it can go. Your first "third" of drys will be a big third, the 1/2 of wet will be an exact 1/2 and so on. You are always adding in the next D or W JUST before the batter looks uniform/incorporated.
- When batter is done, scrape and use a spatula to do the last few turn-overs of the batter, making sure that no wet or dry spots have hid from you at the bottom of the bowl.
- Scoop into baking pans. Bake for 15-22 minutes. Its helpful to set your timer to the halfway point to check on cupcakes and also rotate the pans for even baking.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Frost!
Cotton Candy Cupcake Recipe Batch #2
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside. Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the bowl of the mixer with the butter and discard the pod (or reserve for another use.) Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and creamy in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for one more minute.
- Add the sugar to the butter mixture, ¼ cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Mix in the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Combine the buttermilk and the vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
- Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full (you will likely have batter left over after filling 24 wells.) Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Replace paper liners and bake remaining batter if desired. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
Cotton Candy Buttercream
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- pink food coloring (or 1 drop of red)
- Tiffany blue food coloring (or two blue drops, one green drop)
- cotton candy, pulled into small pieces
Using the paddle attachment on a mixer hand beater, cream the butter. Add half of the sugar and half of the milk. Cream these ingredients until well blended. Add the rest of the sugar and the milk and combine. Add the vanilla and mix in. Separate the frosting into two containers. Add food colorings to each bowl and mix until even. Add cotton candy pieces until well combined. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with remaining cotton candy.