american in paris confiture de lait....

Jul 10, 2010

vanilla bean version

You must know by now, I am obsessed with France. So what better weekly feature to introduce to my humble little blog than an 'American in Paris' recipe column. I have so many fun and interesting things planned for my blog, and in turn, myself, that I was just too eager to wait any longer to get started on this idea. And after discovering a plethora of new resources today, including blogger turned author, Clotilde of Chocolate&Zucchini, I was even more revved up. So I figured I would start simple...but like really simple. Don't get me wrong, it still has to be delicious! Therefor, Confiture de Lait was born. In America and Latin America, we know it as dulce de leche (or cajeta), but I am obsessed with the French, not the Latin (no offense). And this is a recipe that keeps giving and giving, (vibrator anyone? sorry bad joke) lending itself to everything from macarons, croissants, or scones to banana sandwiches, tarts and pancakes. The translation is actually milk jam, so once you realize how many things you can top it with, you'll be pleasantly fat..I mean surprised!
So have your hand at the traditional Normandy-based recipe below (my own painstakingly adapted version for...Americans working without measuring scales), your taste buds will dance with delight.
PS- recipe in English & French!

Ingrédients :
1 liter (4 cups) of goat’s milk or cow's whole milk/1 litre de lait de chèvre (ou à défaut de vache)
440g sugar (2 cups)/ 440g de sucre
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean (slit across its length)/vanille liquide ou gousse de vanille (fendue dans la longueur)
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch of baking soda
*optional* a generous shot of rum (or rum extract)/une bonne rasade de rum


Method:
Turn stove to high-med heat. Pour milk into large saucepan, big enough to hold all the milk with ample room on top. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring milk mixture to a boil, paying very close attention that it does not over boil and spill out. Once it reaches a boil, turn stove down to its lowest heat setting, just below a simmer. Let sit for 2-3 hours (depending on desired thickness) making sure to stir every so often (not too much) to avoid foaming. Note: If you do not keep an eye on it (like I ignorantly did not do in the beginning) it will foam up, boil over, or create that infamous silky film layer that will never stir in again...so keep an eye on it!
//
Faire bouillir tous les ingrédients à feu très doux dans une grande casserole, en mélangeant régulièrement jusqu’à ce que la préparation acquière la consistance voulue. Plus la crème reste longtemps sur le feu et plus la consistance en sera épaisse.
I used French recipes and sources for researching this post, but find American resources here and here

8 comments:

  1. Oh i test it once time but I don't really like it!! And I have to say that it's quite impossible to find confiture de lait in Paris, because it's an old product, and now children prefer to eat nutella, or Jam:!!!
    But you can find a lot of confiture de lait in Normandie, or on the Normandie's shop which are in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh no, how come you didn't like it? i do love nutella, but not as much as i used to...my palette denies hazelnut these days. funny you mention that though, as i am now researching how to make jams! any ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They exist a famous jam that we eat in France for Christmas or with cheeseboard, it's the fig-onion jam it's completely awesome, with a good bread, comté or gruyère and a white wine!!!
    but in christmas we eat that with foie gras! Do you ever taste it?
    this is the recipe http://www.marmiton.org/Recettes/Recette_foie-gras-et-sa-confiture-d-oignons-et-de-figues_25653.aspx but it's in french, if you don't understand I can translate you!!!
    But you really really really nead to taste it!!!!!!!!!!! it awesome!!!

    I also love banana jam, my mother make it because she is from Martinique and It's a speciality here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris is my favorite city in the whole world!!
    welcome to food buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dennis, thank you so much! Such a pleasure to have a chef reading my little blog. Howd you know i was on foodbuzz? i just joined today! :)
    whats your favorite part about Paris by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mathilde11:38 AM EDT

    super une recette en français
    merci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:29 PM EDT

    hey your blog design is very nice, clean and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

    - Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there. i loved your post and referenced it in mine. just in case you are interested here it is. http://comeconella.blogspot.com/2012/01/notes-on-all-things-caramel-and.html

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti