first ever successful cake...

Jun 21, 2010

So here's the deal. You'll never be able to wean me off my crackberry. You can barely get me to wear flats instead of heels. And for goodness sakes, I don't go anywhere without my lucky pen. But when it comes to my new baking adventures, I am in it to win it! (couldn't think of a better expression, sorry) That is why I have said no to Betty Crocker and hello to Dutch processed cocoa, very expensive organic flour, and all pink bake wear. After a very unsuccessful red velvet cupcakes experience this past weekend (seriously, why is that darn flavor so hard to master!?) I decided I could not live with myself until I redeemed my virginal baking skills. I stared at the minimal ingredients in my cupboard and said "bring it!". What could one make with no more than a few breakfast (yes, I really do eat chocolate chip pancakes and scrambled eggs almost daily) ingredients? Why a perfect chocolate cake of course! So after thorough research and a little adaptation, I was able to put together an incredibly easy cake. I know everyone says this, but seriously, this is the easiest cake you could ever make! And the secret ingredient is bread flour. Please do a small drum roll for my first ever successful cake...from scratch!



The Ultimate Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Cupcakes


Ingredients:

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
1/3 cup (1 ounce) Dutch-processed cocoa
3/4 cup hot coffee
3/4 cup (4 1/8 ounces) bread flour
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Frosting:
1/3 cup (2 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
Pinch table salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened and cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate , melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions:
1.) Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your cake pan and set aside (use two cake pans for a layer cake).
2.) Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
Note: I used a little less coffee for less of a dark chocolate taste.
3.) Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
4.) Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
5.) Divide batter evenly among cake pans.
6.) Bake for about 17 to 19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7.) Cool cupcakes on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
8.) Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour. Frost as desired.
Note: I used a delicious peanut butter cream cheese buttercream frosting. if anyone wants the recipe just comment below.




images [source] [source]

9 comments:

  1. Wow, wonderful, it'll be nice if you bring the buttercream frosting recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great!! Looks like a cake made by a pro :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog on Tastespotting. And this is one beautiful cake. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good I might just make it right now! I've got that pink stand mixer too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omigod that looks wonderful!! I wanna have a taste of that please. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could I have the peanut butter frosting recipe too, please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so glad you all like this post! Thanks so much for stopping by. I see some requests for the frosting...will do a post about it this week, promise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I see each and every comment I receive and try to respond to all my lovely readers. Thanks so much for taking a moment to drop a note. Conversation and community are two of my favorite things. But please leave out the spammy links to your blog and giveaways. Come again soon, mmkay!

xoxo
Leti